It’s a Dog’s Life
Fido’s First Christmas
Put a priority on puppyproofing your holiday displays
It’s that time of the year already, the holidays are upon us. We are busy shopping, cooking, entertaining and decorating. It’s such a joyful season-Christmas trees, presents, poinsettias and all the food!!! However did you realize the festive things we enjoy can be dangerous to our pets?
The Christmas tree is such a great tradition and the focal point of our gatherings. It’s so beautiful and fragrant. Unfortunately it can be a hazard to our pets. Please make sure you supervise your animals around the tree. If you are unable to supervise put gates up or close doors so they are not left with the tree unattended. One danger often overlooked is the water supply to the tree. Dogs like to drink the tree’s water therefore leaving the tree dry, a dry tree with hot lights on it can become a fire hazard. The lights themselves can be dangerous and they are enticing to a teething puppy. Tinsel although beautiful can become a tasty treat for a dog; there have been deadly reports of dogs ingesting tinsel.
Presents look so lovely under the tree. Here are a few things to keep in mind. Dogs LOVE paper!!!! If you don’t supervise some presents may get unwrapped before Christmas. Or your presents may get additional decorations. One year I had my tree up with all the presents under the tree it looked so gorgeous. Then my male dog (Scooter) came along and decided one of the presents was his. Guess what he did.
He “marked” it!
You can laugh. I did once the shock wore off and I cleaned and rewrapped the present. Good thing the present was for a dog lover. From the dogs’ prospective it was a tree after all.
Poinsettias are the most popular holiday plant. These plants contain a thick, milky sap that can cause vomiting and anorexia in pets. Of more concern are the berries on mistletoe which can cause fatality in pets.
Fruitcake all the jokes come to mind. The one fruitcake that has been circling the world is not only bad for us it is also bad for our pets! The raisins in it can make a dog ill.
The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and lethargy.
Some other foods never to give to your dog are: chocolate, onions, garlic, mushrooms, grapes, Macadamia nuts, baby food, bones from fish or poultry, cat food, fat trimmings, milk or dairy, raw eggs and raw fish. A dog’s system can not tolerate them.
Have a safe and happy holiday season for you and your pets! Darlene Koza, Scooter’s School of Sit & Stay. www.sitandstay.org or 585-755-7647.